Cool Pak has a multi-faceted philosophy of delivering improved eco-footprint packaging. Technology is moving fast and new offerings become available all the time. Our goal is to be at the forefront of what is viable today while tracking technologies that will become viable tomorrow.
Key Capabilities for improving your eco-footprint include:
- Material Reduction: Often called light weighting, it can be a very effective method for quickly reducing a packaging footprint. There are material reductions of 10-20% that can often be immediately undertaken provided all stakeholders take an active role in the identification and testing of these initiatives.
- Recycled Materials: Cool Pak has been using recycled materials for well over a decade and has worked with major retailers to transition packaging from non-recyclable materials, such as PS, into 100% recycled PET, as an example. In addition to the heavy use of RPET in rigid packaging, Recycled corrugate makes up a majority of our corrugated box programs.
- Improved Cube: Inefficient packaging design is very common. We work on design improvements that can have multiple benefits including: reduced materials (smaller packages), improved cube within a master shipping container (less material) and greatly improved shipping efficiencies (more product per load for lower greenhouse gas emissions, as well as lower freight expenditures.)
- Alternative Materials: Alternatives to plastic have been improving and we have grown our product offering in recent years to include fiber (e.g. bagasse, bamboo, sugarcane) and paper (e.g. folding carton, micro-fluted corrugated) solutions.
- Bio-Resins: Cool Pak became involved in bio-based resins (non petroleum based polymers) over 10 years ago and have experience with corn and starch based resins including PLA, PHA and cellulose. Hybrid resins are quickly becoming a highly viable solution, preserving current package performance and consumer friendly display, and can be integrated into existing manufacturing processes.
- Polymer Additives to Enhance Biodegradability: Technology has been recently developed in the form of additives that will allow many plastics to break down naturally and be bio-digested by microorganisms. These additives can be easily added into existing manufacturing processes for materials like LDPE, LLDPE and Nylon.
- Recyclable Design: In almost every case, produce packaging is a combination of unlike materials that render the package almost impossible to recycle. We now use new technologies in adhesives, ink and material combinations that allow our packaging to be easily recycled. In early 2020 we launched our washable adhesive BOPP label line which will ensure clamshell recyclability as well as provide recyclability for the label, which previously would have gone into the waste stream.